Our river is not for the faint of heart. Furthermore, it is only those hardy enough to handle the oppressive, heat of Carolina in July that should wander here. Those raised where I stand know of words like grit, patience, and manners. Locals know the meaning of hard work, especially the one’s who walk the earth with leather bound feet, hardened from years of trudging through the brush. Those folks with skin slick of sweat just waiting to be washed away in the deep water. We don’t drift too far from this place, especially the banks, as they are our cherished home. This town and all of it’s people are like family if they ain’t already rightfully kin. The roots of our ancestors run as deep as the Angel Oak itself… As do our secrets.
‘By the River’ is a Southern Gothic mix riddled with stories of mystery, murder, and magic. Some songs are a dirty as the devil while others beg for your forgiveness. It’s a mix of dark bluesy bluegrass that’s almost as addictive as the cool waters of the river for which it gets it’s name. Be sure not to miss Grace Potter & the Nocturnal’s ‘Nothing but the Water’ because of it’s somber message of salvation. Meanwhile, The Blue Eyed Blonde’s ‘Maneater’ should be listened to simply for the sinister storytelling.
Some folks come to the river in search of salvation. Praying, almost begging that the water will cleanse them. While others come here to bury their sins; wishing the bad away as though the river was as deep as a well. It seems like the low hanging Cypress hide more than just shadows; the old oaks reaching out, beckoning all those who dare to come near.
This land is eerie. Something about the way the light filters through the Spanish moss and dances across the cresting tides.Some say the deafening sounds of the bullfrogs and crickets are enough to drive a man mad; yet for us, it lulls the babies to sleep. It’s song is forever remembered, and without it, the silence is too much to bear… down here by the river.
- Woven Hand – Consecration
- Brandi Carlile – Raise Hell
- Lauren O’Connell – House of the Rising Sun
- Jen Titus – Oh Death (gotta find a decent replacement for this one. It’s super short)
- The Handsome Family – Far From Many Road
- Jay Munly – Dar He Drone
- Delta Rae – Bottom of the River
- Grace Potter & The Nocturnals – Nothing But The Water Part 1
- Elbow – Grounds for Divorce
- The Bright Brothers – Blood On My Name
- Blue Eyed Blondes – Maneater
- The Civil Wars – Barton Hollow
- Martin Simpson – Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down
- Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan – Ramblin’ Man
- Little Big Town – Boondocks
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Ain’t No Easy Way