Cover bands have been around for decades. Some have been decent, while others screech terrifying renditions of our favorite hits, and taint every memory we ever had of the greats. (It was a Rage Against the Machine cover band that ruined People of the Sun for me.) However, there are times when real artists cover amazing songs and create these wonderful, crazy, sometimes vastly different versions of tunes we know and love.
Cover me is a playlist that embodies just that. It’s simple. Great artists covering great songs, but with a metal edge. My personal favorite is the first track on the list, Bad Moon Rising as covered by Mourning Ritual. It embodies the apocalyptic lyrics in a much more emotional and tangible way the even the original was capable of. Another favorite is Godhead’s rendition of Elanor Rigby. It’s industrial flair makes this song much more modern and dystopian than it’s vintage counterpart. Some say don’t fix it if it ain’t broke, we say fuck that! These covers are worthy of their own title.
The harder side of classics.
Like this playlist? Please consider giving it a like over on 8tracks!
- Mourning Ritual – Bad Moon Rising
- Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Karen O – Immigrant Song
- Godsmack – Come Together
- Godhead – Elanor Rigby
- Seasons After – Cry Little Sister
- Five Finger Death Punch – House of The Rising Sun
- Seether – Careless Whisper
- Nonpoint – In The Air Tonight
- Killswitch Engage – Holy Diver
- Adrenaline Mob – Come Undone
- Candlelight Red – She’s Got The Look